View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012   #22
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Texans a run-first team, I think not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
What's your definition of a run-first team? Is there one in the NFL?

As I have said elsewhere, Kubiak would like to be able to put up a lead int he first half and grind it out in the second. That doesn't always go his way.
Exactly.

Some teams do some things better. For each of the 32 teams, they can each have a widely, vastly different "makeup" of how they approach each game of a season.

For some teams, they might understand that they have to focus or emphasize one thing in order for another thing to work better (compensating or leveraging, for effect). Another team might have that focus/attention flip flopped for reasons specific to their team's coaches, players, etc.

I doubt that Wade Phillips and Dom Capers, both arguably very good 34 Defense d-coords, are going to pattern or do things exactly as the other fellow does. They do the same thing, they do it differently though. Various nuance and subtle wrinkles, maybe even degrees of different philosophies on certain aspects too.

This isn't about finding the statistical ABSOLUTE of run vs. pass. To me, this is being blown out of proportion. Nobody here, doing this as a hobby, is going to have the whole picture no matter how much the person watches or listens or studies. To me, we're all offering a scattered patchwork of our own ideas about what makes the Texans tick. This is getting comical.