View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Predicting Rick Smith's GM Decisions Using the 20/70/10 Philosophy

The key to 20-17-10 is how well RS executes timing in locking up the 20%. There has to be some manipulation of the numbers for salary cap purposes alone. Its difficult for a layman like myself to watch the number one pick leave just when things turnaround, with minimal compensation but guess those are the breaks. Overall when looking at my list Rick Smith seems to have done a nice job retaining a core that should continue with these players as well.

Also since Andre, Foster, Daniels, Myers, Joseph & Manning are locked up for a while I would fudge my list a bit & not include them in my top 10. Instead I would focus on key, younger players who already have established themselves as core in future of this teams success.

#1. Brian Cushing - Must lock him up early.
#2. Duane Brown - Deserves top 5 LT money.
#3. Matt Schaub - His durability is a concern but his importance to this team is undeniable. I list him lower because of his age, hence future productive seasons ahead.
#4. Connor Barwin - With Mercilus it lessons his need to sign him to a big contract, something with in reason or possibly trade?
#5. Glover Quinn - This is where it really starts getting sentimental for me. My desire to see him remain a Texans probably out weighs his actual worth.
#6. JJ Watt - It's never too early to ensure a stud like him remains locked up as Texan long term.
#7. Brice McCain - Yes I include him as the nickle back. He has the best speed in secondary & is proving himself invaluable.
#8. Brooks Reed - Texans would like to remain deep & talented @ OLB.
#9. Shaun Cody - Much as I hate to admit it the guy fits Wade Phillips system & keeps players around him free to make some plays.
#10. Antonio Smith - Out of respect earned, & contributions to this organization through some lean times, he should receive some serious consideration for his leadership & work ethic.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote