View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012   #7
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Predicting Rick Smith's GM Decisions Using the 20/70/10 Philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Does that mean that Demeco, Mario, Winston, Briesel, and Dressen were in the 10%?? They were nothing but scumbags in RS eyes, so it's bye-bye losers?? Geeezzzzz! RS is an idi*t and couldn't manage the 20/70/10 concept if his life depended on it! JMO!!! Dont' throw the "cap" issue at me either. That's RS fault also!
There are times when you need to temper your fandom of players and realize we're a fan of the *team*. You seem personally against Rick Smith and unable to see any reason as far as football operations go.

No, those players were not in the bottom 10%. If you think Rick Smith thinks that, you're deluding yourself. If you don't think he thinks that, I don't know why you're insulting the man.

No, the cap is not (completely) Rick Smith's fault. There comes a point where you CANNOT maintain talent on a team if you continually improve. If you draft well and pickup quality free agents who overperform their contracts (which is what has been happening here), then you MUST continue to draft well and sign quality free agents who overperform their contracts.

Could he have managed the contracts better? Probably. Does that mean he is at fault for losing Mario/Briesel/Dreesen? No, I would disagree with that. Those three were in line for a huge raise, and they got it. They were paid more than we were willing to pay for them, and I applaud R.S. for that. To have confidence in your team and your young players to fill those spots without having to panic mode overpay means we are in a good position.

Demeco was and is a tough loss. But for me, that loss is only on a intangible level. His leadership and play style will be missed. But his play on the field, however amazing his off the field stuff was, has steadily been on the decline ever since his rookie year. If we're going to whine every time a player we like gets cut, then we're in for a hell of a lot of whining.

Winston's release is the only real headscratcher. I don't know if it was completely necessary (it may have been, I'm not 100% on our cap situation). But I think we have the peices on this roster ALREADY to replace him. No use crying over losing a player that we've been grooming replacements for.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote