View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012   #3
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Predicting Rick Smith's GM Decisions Using the 20/70/10 Philosophy

This philosophy was touched on in one of badboy's threads from last week about team depth. This was/is my take....

Quote:
Our "twenty percenters" are...
1. Foster
2. Duane Brown
3. A.J.
4. Schaub
5. J. Joseph
6. Watt
7. Myers
8. Cushing

Edit:
since Smith went with 10-11, I added a couple more

9. Wade Smith (I'm betting his replacement is being groomed right now)
10. D. Manning (although we did okay when he was hurt)
11. Owen Daniels (if a second WR emerges from this new bunch, we may see fewer two TE sets and O.D. may become expendable - pass catching, not blocking, is his strong suit)

Everyone else is a role player, a "project", or on his way out

Unless Mercilus and Crick turn out to be duds, Antonio Smith might be allowed to walk when his contract is up unless he takes a pay cut.

Schaub may not get a huge payday when his contract comes due if Yates or Beck become proficient in this system.

Like I said in the Rick Smith thread, Cushing may end up wearing a different jersey if he wants a mega payday like Mario got because I'm not sure Wade needs Cushing's caliber of stud to play ILB in his system. Sure he'll want him - who wouldn't? But, like Mario, I don't think they'll want to pay him that kind of dough. It's the same reason that DeMeco was "over-priced" for this system. Wade spends his bucks on pass rushers - DEs and OLBs. And CBs. Any defensive scheme can use stud CBs.
One of the Barwin/Brooks/Mercilus trio could fall into this "20%" category. But since that's a 3-man rotation at OLB, Wade can probably find someone in the draft to coach up to replace any of the three that might desire crazy, stud pass rusher money.

In my mind, stud, cover CBs, superior RBs like Foster, or Duane Brown quality LTs are harder to come by than fast OLBs who can be taught Wade's system.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote