View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012   #98
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jaguars 1st pick Justin Blackmon arrested Sunday for aggravated DUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I understand what you are saying, but, I will refer to Cloaks post! I just believe the subject has to realize he/she has a problem before success can be obtained. BTW: I grew up in a dysfuctional family dominated with alcoholics, plus I was DUMB enough to marry one. One reason why I rarely touch the stuff today! So, I am not ignorant of the effect alcohol can have on an individual, or his/her family.

The key word is SUCCESS! He can go into rehab, whether mandated by the league, the Jags, or voluntary, but, chances are he will NOT be successful until he realizes he is an addict!! Hopefully, rehab will help him realize he has an issue, and he can get to the point that LIFE is more important than alcohol. I wish him the best.
I can only speak for personal experiences with myself and others who have been able to change their lives. And also for those who weren't able to and lost their lives. One of the things that alcohol education teaches you is awareness. Awareness for what you're doing to yourself, your body, your loved ones, and potentially innocent people u come across. While Blackmon may not be "ready", he needs to be made fully aware of what he's doing to himself and others.

There are conversations I can remember word for word I had with people and those words keep me going forward. The reason I say it should be mandatory is because he needs to have everything taken away from him, talk to someone about whats causing him to drink so heavily, and really be forced to think about what his drinking could lead to. Will it be successful? Maybe not, but he would become a better man for it purely for understanding alone I can promise you that. Every alcoholic can't be saved so I'm not saying its a sure thing it would work, but its definitely something that I feel would greatly benefit him.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote