View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012   #95
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jaguars 1st pick Justin Blackmon arrested Sunday for aggravated DUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This very detailed historic / medical / statistical review of the success (or failure) of rehab essentially reinforces the fact that if success is to be had, it will only occur because and when the subject is ready for it to be...
Studies are fine and all, but you never know when during the process someone will "get" it. I've witnessed hundreds & hundreds of people "come to the realization" months, even years after they had been forced to go on a drinking hiatus by some kind of trouble. One of your own kind, Doc -- hot-shot surgeon in Dallas at that fancy pants hospital ... choked out his Chief of Staff one day and then went up to the roof to jump off ... 30 days in treatment, arrogant throughout, didn't take ... about a year later he called me saying it just "clicked" for him one day. Sober ever since. That was 15 years ago.

I'll tell you this: the vast majority of people walking into a treatment facility don't want to quit -- not really quit. They just want the ____ to stop. (pain,bleeding,heat,shame,etc.)

You never know when the miracle might happen. Or to/for who/whom. There's no way to explain why one guy got it and the other died. And trust that most people with this problem end up as part of the "in-crowd" ..... in a hospital, in a jail, or in the ground.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote