View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012   #75
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jaguars 1st pick Justin Blackmon arrested Sunday for aggravated DUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
WHAT?? You think the league should step up, do the RIGHT thing, and SAVE this kid from himself, BUT, football should not be important at all?? Please tell me WHY the league should even get involved? This dude obviously had problems LONG before he entered the NFL. Since you've dealt with alcoholism yourself, you should know that the treatment starts with SELF! The NFL can't "save" this kid from himself, he's the only one who can do that. Maybe being in the NFL is a detriment to this dude! Lots of money, fame, free time to do what he pleases. The fact that he pleaded NOT GUILTY says a lot, IMHO! He's not ready to admit he has a problem, and NOONE, not even the powerful NFL, can help him until he's ready to help himself. JMO!!
Playoffs pretty much covered my answers to you. Unfortunately it took some tough love from my friends and family to calm me down. After I finished playing ball, drinking filled a void in my life and kind of took over. I didn't think I had a problem at the time. The NFL should get involved if they truly care for the welfare of their players. Just like they prevent guys from coming into the game after concussions.

It wouldn't be out of line for the NFL to make some type of alcohol invervention madatory for players who committ alcohol related crimes. I think it would be a great idea. Most of these guys don't think they have a problem just like I didn't. Its something I fight with every day of my life so even if he realizes he has a problem that still may not change anything. Support groups and being around others who are dealing with similar issues help. So I understand what this kid's going through. Its why I hope he gets it under control, but most people can't just quit like that on their own. It doesn't just work like that trust me. Fortunately I've never had to deal with the legal issues that are facing him, and he was completely dumb for getting behind the wheel of a car.
Texn4life is online now   Reply With Quote