View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: rmartin65's Way Too Early Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
While I agree with you on both points. If KJ stinks against much better QB's, no amount of 76's screenshots are going to save him.

I gree with you also about letting the high $$$$ vets go. But the 3-4 needs 5-6 quality LB's. Think about the NYG's Taylor/Carson/Reasons/Banks the best LB corps other than the 70's Steelers. Speaking of the Steelers they keep their LB's core together until they get to old and usually train the young guys so that they are ready when the old guys start losing it. I see the Texans doing this with Mercilus. You dont let young double digit sack guys like Barwin walk. Especially when you can make cap room for them by cutting guys that are replaceable like A.Smith/KJ/W.Smith. Whose replacements have already been drafted.

Communication between the LB's is critical in 3-4. Barwin/Cushing/Watt are going to be the leaders, tone setters of an intense young defense for yrs to come in the front 7. With JoJo and Manning leading the back end. The Texans finally have speed at all positions on defense. (Speed kills)
I think new CBA is changing way teams have created rosters. Payroll getting into the NBA range.. we will see Texans only keeping players with reasonable contracts. You may find an AJ type who will get re-done but not more than a few on roster. I agree with your premise but posters need to start identifying money being saved (as you did) & being spent on what player.

For example, per rotoworld A. Smith gets $5.5m & Wade Smith $2m, KJ gets $700K= $8.2m to re-sign one of your starters. Which one? Schaub 2012 should get apprx $7.5m with all bonuses. If he has another 4,000 yard year, he should get $12-15m offered as UFA. That's another $5- 7million. So let's give him $ from cutting or trading for picks Smiths & KJ. He's locked in.. but wait, what happens in 2013 when CAP is still about $123m but his escalator kicks in? Uh oh.

Let's do the smart thing as others have suggested and re-sign Cush one year early & use the Ryans, Briesel and AJ's renegotiated savings.

We cut Shaun Cody because someone Fangupo, Mitchell, etc steps up. That's $2m.

Barwin's money comes from......? If he gets 14+ sacks and he should, he will be ducking offers like a hail storm. For a guy earning less than $600K won't an offer for $8million or more as an FA be hard to turn down?

Now comes the most VIP of them all.....Duane Brown. $2m 2012 & many thought he had pro bowl season. If he does it again and he should, I wonder what kind of deal his agent will want? A 27 YOA (August) pro bowl type LT? Think he could get $12-15m? No history of injury..hmm.

THis is why I'm hoping Schaub takes us to Super Bowl & leaves with Yates our starter 2013. Sign Brown and let Mercilus replace Barwin 2013. Sign Cush now if you can but be ready to replace him if he says no.

I am as hopeful as you but reality comes knocking on my door. If a poster says "so and so will sign" okay but address all these players not just the one you are supporting.

ps: OH, btw the 3-4 did very well last season with Barwin, Reed and Braman. 5-6 OLBs= luxury.
Enjoying the debate as always...