View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: rmartin65's Way Too Early Mock

I don't know how I could ever be upset with two KU guys being drafted.

Hawk will go higher than 5-6. He was a Freshman All-American and has done nothing but continue that pace. He did play some RT under our last inept coach, though he has been starting in the Big XII since his Freshman year. Excellent feet. He'll get more notice and more credit with a competent QB this year. The difference between Jordan Webb (starter the last two seasons) and Dayne Crist is laughable. As in, all you can do is laugh at the talent gap because words just come up short describing how big it really is. Also on that note, Crist is a name to keep an eye on. He has every physical tool you could want in an elite QB and has great make-up as a human being, it's just his knees that are a potential question. He used to be a first-round lock type of QB but now he's likely a 2-4 round type of guy, depending on his season. More talent than some current NFL QB's. Yeah, he's that good, which will only make Hawkinson's stock jump as well.

Toben...I'm not quite as sold on honestly. The last year or two he has been one of our only players on defense, but that isn't saying much at all. He has made a lot of plays based on his athleticism alone. Another way to put it is that he didn't know enough to do anything wrong. Our coaches just told him to get the QB. This is a guy who had offers to ND, Florida, tOSU, etc so his athleticism isn't really a question. His development this year will be a big thing for his draft stock. Can he read the play and influence the game in other ways? He's the guy on our defense with a target on his back. Other coaches know he's one of only a handful of guys who you need to account for on our defense, so how does he respond to that additional scheming? With that said, he's got an explosive first step. As a RB, he was a very N/S runner and not a dancer. He gets moving forward very fast and gets up to speed very quickly. He's learning moves but right now his athletic ability is enough to beat the Big XII OTs. That does bode well for him as a late round "raw" prospect. I think his ceiling is about the late 4th to 5th round. So somewhere in the 5-7 range like you have listed is realistic.

I've stopped following the draft process as in-depth as I much as I used to for this board, but that doesn't mean I'm not still keeping tabs. It's also pretty easy for me to keep tabs on KU guys since I see them live every weekend. If you have questions about KU guys, or guys in this area, I can likely give a more accurate review than some obscure paragraph written 18 months ago. Sidenote: if you mention Mizzou, you go on the blocked list.