View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012   #87
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brett Hartmann suspended

While I don't normally support the hecklers of Goodell, the subjective/selective punishment system is really galling. To fans, to players, to teams, etc.

Look, it shouldn't matter one freaking bit of Brown did A, B, and C and didn't do X, Y, and Z...and then Hartmann did X, Y, and Z, but did not do A, B, and C. If a guy did a drug on the list, then the guy gets punished. And you don't exonerate one guy completely and then merely reduce the other guys's suspension by one measly game (from the original 4-game suspension down to Hartmann's current 3-game suspension).

McNair should make a personal visit to Goodell like he did back with the Cushing incident. The meeting should be about the level of inconsistency in the handling of the two or three cases with the ADHD drugs.

Goodell is perhaps also over-reaching a bit in the suspensions against the Bounty Gate offenders. He's got a ledger as "evidence" but how the hell can it be proven that the ledger was signed off on (or kept) by players??? For all we know, it was one of Williams' sycophant assistants who kept a ledger and the players never wrote anything nor even initialed it each week!

One thing is for sure, tyrants always keep morbid ledgers of their injustices...I mean, why is it always that the evil people of this world feel compelled to keep a written record of their travesties?!?!? Duh, it's going to one day be used against you! Shaking my muther effing head over that sort of stuff. The complete idiocy of these people to think written records help them more than hurt them. "You know what will really be of great use? If we kept detailed records of every person we hurt. I mean, all the great tyrants do it. Let's start keeping a physical record of our bounties. Plus, we need to also make sure cameras are in the room when we preach to our players about purposefully targeting opponents who have injury histories already. I think this is really going to put our team over the top. Enough of the small potatoes. Let's go FULL BORE."

I applaud what the commish is doing on reducing head injuries/trauma. He's genuinely trying to save the game IMO. It sucks that the NFL "we are accustomed to" is changing, but overall it's a move with the future in mind.

However, Goodell's handling of suspensions is nightmarish at best. It seems to be subjective or selective, and the two or three cases with the ADHD drugs is really cementing that perception people have of Goodell. Throw in the muck and mire of the Bounty Gate player suspensions and Goodell is making a bit of a mess for himself right now.

I think the players stand a good chance of getting reductions or all-out dismissals if it somehow gets to a system beyond the NFL's judiciary system which is anything but judicious. But IIRC, the NFLPA waived certain aspects of arbitration...just not sure if it covers player suspensions too or just revenue sharing stuff.