View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012   #146
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
Like others, I'm pretty excited that we've got a local guy with a chance to be a quarterback on the team - that's a pretty rare thing in the NFL.

But it might save us some heartbreak later if we reel in expectations. Drew Brees' name is being thrown around a lot in here, but that's an unfair and lofty comparison to place on Keenum. Brees was drafted in the 2nd round, Keenum went undrafted, let's have him develop his skills and career his own way regardless of any similarities.

Also, it's a tad ironic that we often throw around the "Wade knows more about football then you" line suggesting that those with an official decision making position in the NFL automatically knows more, and thus any sort of conflicting view a fan may have doesn't hold merit. Yet, when every single franchise decides to pass on a quarterback through seven rounds of a draft, suddenly our opinion of a player holds incredible value.

I hope Keenum makes the team, but let's take it slow with this guy.
Drew Brees name isn't being thrown around in regards to a comparison to play, much as when someone throws around the lack of size in a starting NFL QB he's the first player that comes to mind when someone says X is too small to play QB.

Truth is if Keenum is around what ESPN lists at 6'2" and 210 that's around the same size as a lot of starters in the NFL at QB including MVP Aaron Rodgers. I do think Keenum could add some muscle and not affect his game.

As for why he wasn't drafted by the Texans....it's likely that the FO took a calculated risk in assuming he would go undrafted and they'd be the first to get him on the phone after. It was a good call and might be a sign that Rick and Co. are finally having things clicking upstairs when it comes to the draft. I can only hope that this coming season things click as well for Kubiak when it comes to overall game management.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote