View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012   #45
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Fixed now:

Round 3 (pick 76) — Brandon Brooks, OG, Miami, OH
Z-Report Top 200: 79

Z-Report Says: Brandon Brooks first caught my eye at the East-West Shrine game where I saw him play with an exceptional amount of power. The thing that really confused me about this pick was that Brooks doesn’t fit the mold of the zone scheme guards we’ve seen in the past. At over 340 pounds, Brooks not only flashes outstanding power, but he also ran a sub 5.0 40 yard dash at the combine and was brought in for individual workouts by both the Texans and the Chiefs (Chiefs looking to run more zone). Obviously, the Texans saw what they needed to in terms of his lateral movement at the individual workout. If Brooks can get to the second level effectively, he has a great shot at competing for a starting job at RG right away. While he’ll be the underdog, Brooks has the type of power that will really give the Texans an advantage with their gap running plays. Brooks has outstanding potential if he keeps his weight in check.
In highschool I was 340 lbs and we ran a zbs very similar to what the texans run. My coach asked me to lose weight because they wanted linemen under 300 lbs. I ended up playing around 325 but I was one of the most athletic linemen on the team. Offense and defense.

That's why I don't like when people talk about size. Yes it's generally a factor, but talent and ability should trump that. Brooks may be asked to lose a little weight, but obviously even at his size the texans saw something from an ability standpoint to take him.

I have high hopes for the guy. Him and crick are my favorite picks with everyone else in a close second.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote