View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012   #33
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on Mercilus and My 2nd/3rd Round Draft Value Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
This is so, so, so very true and I try to put that out there every chance I get. We watch games on television.... not all-22 tape. We don't have access to personal interviews nor to medical reports.

Anything that any "draftnik" or "tv personality" talks about is generally an opinion that isn't backed up by as much info. With that said, there are also plenty of times when evaluators for teams miss and a draft writer will be right on a player.

I need to see more on Posey. My grade was based 100% on the grade from another team as I hardly got to see him this year because of his suspension. Keyshawn Martin was a 4th for me as was Crick. However, no offense at all is taken by saying that teams have more access to info that any of us do. I will say that in the 4 games I watched on Mercilus, I thought he stayed engaged a little too long and didn't look like a polished pass rusher.

My draft ratings are based on watching games, going to Shrine practices, Sr. Bowl practices, the combine and speaking with teams. I will have a write-up of my thoughts on the Texans draft later tonight. Other than Posey that high, I was pretty happy.
This is very true and it is to your credit that you acknowledge this.

That being said:
Postmodern Americans don't lack information in making good decisions, we often lack the clarity of thought, discernment, and integrity to draw the correct conclusion. Access to an excess of information does not eliminate those issues, but it can magnify them. Teams with good decision-making models with people that divert the least from those models are the ones that get it right most of the time. All this is to say that having less information than others does not disqualify a person from the possibility he drew an educated and better conclusion.

I respect Lance's opinion a great deal, not because he is more informed that everyone else, but because I think he is consistent and his conclusions are sound. There is nothing wrong with someone like LZ critiquing the Texans' organization or any other organization regarding personnel decisions they made.

(I love this Texan draft. Partly, however, because I believe in Rick Smith, Kubiak, and their decision-making process. Still, I like to hear what others I respect, like LZ, think about it)