View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012   #31
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on Mercilus and My 2nd/3rd Round Draft Value Chart

Don't want to keep going back and forth as there is really no argument from me here. Just want to make sure I'm not being misrepresented. Here is what I said about Brooks Reed pre-draft:

Brooks Reed, Arizona

Reed had a terrific Senior Bowl and showed every pass -rushing move imaginable in one-on-one drills which is one of the reasons that I believe he will probably be over-drafted. Hell, I was just as excited as anyone until I actually watched tape of him. What I see in Reed is a slightly stiff pass rusher with a great motor and a very good inside spin move. What worries me is that Reed wasnít as productive as you might expect from a pass rusher being considered in the first round. While I expect Reed to be a solid pro, I donít think heíll be the pass rusher that some expect Ė and heís probably best suited to be a strong-side OLB in a 3-4 defense that already has an accomplished pass rusher on the weak-side. I donít see Reed as a first round talent.

.... and what I said post-draft:

Round 2 (pick 42) ó Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona
Z-Report Top 100: 41
Z-Report Says: Reed had a terrific Senior Bowl and showed every pass rushing move imaginable in the one-on-one drills which is one of the reasons I went scrambling to watch more games of him to find out why there wasnít a bigger buzz surrounding him headed into the Senior Bowl practices. What I saw on tape was a player who plays hard, gets off the snap with a great first step and a guy who is relentless. Reed didnít have the sack production I expected after watching him at the Senior Bowl and he is a little stiff in the hips which means he isnít going to change direction as well as you would like. To me, Reed can be an effective complimentary rusher, but heís not Clay Matthews. Reed should be able to come in right away and fight for a starting job and he can be part of an attacking unit that gets after the QB rather than a dominant individual pass rusher. The first two picks of this draft set the tone for Wade Phillips and the Texans as they are looking for guys who play hard each snap and whose primary focus is football. That is the word on both Watt and Reed from scouts in the business.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote