View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012   #29
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 Final Draft Grades (Texans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I get the idea that you dont like this pick more for lack of exposure than the guy's skills .... along with the fact that he wasnt one of the "Big Names" that many had been discussing for the last several months.

I dont at all agree with your assessment of his skillset.

Average hands ? He catches everything .... His hands are probably his best asset. He also won the allstar challenge hands competition over Floyd and Sanu. Nothing hit the ground at his pro day.

He's also a great route runner (to echo Dennison's comments) and has the speed to make defenders being timed between 4.37 and 4.48. He's got a knack for getting open .... and often embarrassed defenders ending up with no one within 10+ yards of him. (That kinda reminds me of #80)

And those reports of him being soft across the middle .... are a crock. Just take a look at the catch at 0:41 and again at 1:12 of this video or at "0:30 and again at 0:54 as well as 2:54 of this video and tell me he's not willing to take a shot across the middle. He made a living going across the middle and up the seams .... while not burning defenders on the outside.

As for the character concerns - What do you hear on campus that Smith , Kubiak and the rest of the Texans staff didnt? Who is saying what on campus?

You are entitled to your opinion .... but I think its flat out wrong. This might just be the best pick the Texans made in this draft.
Hey, thanks for the response.

I dont think his suspension impacted me too much in terms of his grading. I never really liked the guy as a pro prospect.

Average hands- I stand by that. I watched damn near every game of his college career, and I saw drops that should not have happened. I also saw catches that were incredible, so I am going with average. Nothing wrong with average.

Average route runner- Again, I stand by my comments. He does not get a ton of separation out of his breaks. Now, this may have been highlighted by having a god-awful QB who could not "throw him open". So, I say average.

Highlight vids are just that, a compilation of a player's best plays. I know what I saw, he gets alligator arms when he hears footsteps. It has gotten better, but it is still there.

I should not have said friend in the other thread, most of what I heard was from a guy with whom I had class with last year that had taken a comm class or something with Posey last year. Just said the guy was an entitled prick that talked to his buddies/texted all class and generally disrupted everyone that sat near him. It fits with the buzz on campus, but now that I have it typed out I guess that it is something that all athletes get tagged with.

Thanks for your post... It has made me take a long look about the pick. I still think 3rd round was a bit early, but there is nothing wrong with a big receiver with an average skillset and a big body in the middle of the draft.

I dont hate the pick anymore.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote