View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012   #107
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans draft grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Draft Grades, at this point, are just feelings. Nothing wrong with that.

The problem is thinking that a draft grade really reflects how good or bad a team performed during the draft. As long as you keep it in perspective, there's nothing wrong with it.

I feel good about this draft. They didn't draft some guys I expected but I've got no problems with what they drafted or who they drafted. I think we've got at least 2 guys that are going to be starters.

I think we're going to see some changes in our line. I don't think Caldwell ends up as a starter and I think Wade Smith might have lost his job, too.

I think our WR corps just got totally revamped with AJ the only one that keeps his job. I think we're also going to start to get some production from our UDFA WRs from last year.

I grade this a B+ draft.
The bolded sums it up perfectly.
While I'm one of those who like to wait and see the guys play before assessing how successful the draft was I can see doing a "first impressions" grade right after the draft.

With that in mind, my first impression is very favorable. They addressed, what I thought, was second the biggest need by getting a stud to add to the OLB rotation right off the bat. And if Wade picked him, that likely means he sees some Demarcus Ware in him. Gotta like that.

As you said, TPN, they retooled the WR corps and got a possible return guy in the process.

And they restocked the OL in the later rounds. If our coaches can transform Briesel from UDFA to a 4 million-dollar guard, then they should be able to do something with at least one of these guys.

And we even drafted an award-winning kicker.

The only nit I have - and it is a nit - is we didn't get a QB. I agree with Thorn. We need a 3rd stringer. But we can probably get camp arms in F/A.