View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012   #1
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2012 Final Draft Grades (Texans)

Deciding to go with a new thread for this, as the other one has gotten off topic. If the mods feel it should be placed in the other thread, I understand.

Well, another draft is in the books. How well do you think the Texans did? **Disclaimer- yes, we all know that the FO is full of professionals who (among other things) have access to info we donít. And yes, grading a draft right after it happens instead of waiting a couple years is jumping the gun a bit. But who cares? If you donít want to participate, then donít. Nobody is making you read/respond to anything written here. Thanks!**

Round 1- Illinois OLB Whitney Mercilus Grade: A-
Mercilus adds another edge rusher to Wadeís ever-evolving defense. It is hard not to be excited about adding him, as he was projected to go well before the 26th pick. He should see regular playing time as a rookie, and push for a starting gig in 2013. I have concerns about lateral agility and overall explosion, but there is no denying the talent and want-level is there.

Round 3- Ohio State WR DeVier Posey Grade: D
Bah, I like the position, but that is about it. He has good size, but is average everywhere else- average hands (drops some he should catch, catches some that were incredibly difficult to bring in), average playing speed, average route runner, above average blocker, but shy over the middle. Add in some character concerns (not just the tattoos, but what some people are saying on campus about him as a person) and the other receivers that were still on the board, and I am disappointed in the pick. That said, he is a Texan now, and has my full support. I truly hope that I am wrong.

Round 3- Miami (OH) OG Brandon Brooks Grade: A+
I love it! Brooks is a day one starter at either OG spot. A big, big man with incredible athleticism, I could not be any happier about the pick.

Round 4- Georgia OC Ben Jones Grade: B+
You just canít hate grabbing O-line depth, especially when it comes with good value. Jones is a long-time starter in the talented SEC, and should be a great backup for many, many years. I donít know if he will be playing OG or OC, but I think he should be a backup at either position, and may compete for a starting job in a couple years. And even if he never becomes a starter, he should be a great backup, and that is worth a 4th. He has a great attitude for an OLinman as well. Nice pick.

Round 4- Keshawn Martin, WR, Michigan State Grade: C+
This pretty much assures us that JJ is gone. Martin is a slot receiver with good return ability, but that is about it. I just donít see him being a difference maker in the pass game. Not a bad pick, but not one I am thrilled about.

Round 4- Nebraska DE Jared Crick Grade: B
A year and a half ago, this guy was a first rounder. Crick has had a couple rough years, but he could be a solid 3-4 DE at the next level. He does not have the explosion of an elite player, and can get high in his stance, but he gives his all every snap. I donít think he will start in the near future, but he should see time in the rotation. Nice pick.

Round 5- Texas A&M K Randy Bullock Grade: A
Who saw this coming? Well, just about everybody. Kicker was a need, and Bullock is arguably the best one in the draft. Strong leg, accurate, he should be the Texansí kicker for years. It may be a bit early, but I have no problem with this. Great pick.

Round 6- Purdue OT/OG Nick Mondek Grade: C
Haha, someone nobody on the board is familiar with. He is raw, but has nice athleticism. I think he gets put on the PS, but who knows. I cant knock the pick since I have no knowledge of the guy, and I cant praise it for the same reason. C is for solid I guess.

Final Grade: B+

A lot of good picks, with only the Posey pick upsetting me. Lets go Texans!
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote