View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012   #44
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Maybe last years draft wasn't all Phillips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know how you get that.

As been stated before, Rick's scouting staff has a list of players they scouted & believe fit Wade's system. Rick gives the list to Wade, Wade whittles it down.

Then Rick manages the draft.

Picking five out of 15 names, Rick could have scratched 10 of those names off the list before the draft started, we don't know that.

& I don't think we ever had a situation where Rick told anybody what they needed. This is the most group think organization I've ever seen in my life, they all get together & agree on whatever their sphere of influence allows.

But the article you quoted does not prove Wade has any more influence over the draft than Frank Bush or Richard Smith had other than he whittled his list down a little farther.
You and others said this before - with links to pressers to back it up - and so have I. But some folks' dislike (there's no other word for it) for Smithiak won't let them accept it.

The Scouting Staff makes the player evaluations.
The coordinators/coaches determine what players attributes/characteristics best fit their scheme.
Smith gets with both to put together to rank players and establish the big board. It's also his job to make sure the Texans end up with who the coordinators/coaches want while making a deal or two, when possible, to get extra picks.

This is definitely drafting by committee. And recently, in the early rounds anyway, it's worked more times than it hasn't.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote