View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012   #36
Lucky

Rep Power: 145631 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Maybe last years draft wasn't all Phillips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Not that I don't believe you, but where is the documented evidence of this? Just curious because things tend to become fact around here after enough people say it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
I thought it was the other way around, Smith gave Wade a list and Wade edited it down to who he thought would work in his system and Smith then chose from those names.

I definitely remember the quote you're referring to though.
From PFT

Quote:
Hiring Phillips was another validation. Kubiak and G.M. Rick Smith deserve the blame for Houston’s consistent defensive struggles over the last few years, and now they have essentially turned things over to Phillips.

Kubiak said that previous coordinators cut their list of potential defensive draft picks to roughly 50-60 prospects. Phillips got the list to 15-20, and the Texans drafted five of them.

“It was locked in before we went to draft day,” Kubiak said. “He knew exactly what he wanted.”

Kubiak’s future now depends on Phillips being right.
I'm not trying to get into a Rick Smith bash session. The Texans did have an excellent draft in 2009. Smith was a part of that. So was Frank Bush, who loved Brian Cushing. But the dynamic now is Wade letting Rick know what he wants on defense. Not Rick telling Wade what he needs. Rick still has to make it happen on draft day(s).