View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012   #171
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus - do you like the pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Nope, this staff for one reason or another is committed to JJ.
I wouldnt say that based off of this pick. OLB lacked depth behind Barwin & Reed. Much like DE behind Smith & Watt. Both positions need to be addressed.
This was simply the best player on the board - I figured he'd be long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
OK with the pick and want us to trade up and get Hill now.
No real need to trade up , still several comparable WR's on the board including Hill , Alshon Jeffery , Brian Quick , Mohamed Sanu , Nick Toon , Dwight Jones , Tommy Streeter , Marvin McNutt , Jeff Fuller , Greg Childs and Ryan Broyles.

I'd wager you could wait till the third or maybe even the fourth round and still get quality which allows the team to address OL and or DE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
We should have taken a T/G, but Mercilus is a beast. I'll take it.
Im sure they considered an OL .... but pass rushers are a premium position and at the end of the day , Mercilus was likely too good to pass up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
9ners pass on Hill, very telling
I was thinking the same thing .... According to the NFL.com rankings , there are eight (8) WR's remaining on the board that grade out better than the (ers pick AJ Jenkins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Quote from Wade on Mercilus, via Nick Scurfield on Twitter:

Phillips on Mercilus: "They say 1-year wonder, but you wonder why they didn't play him the year before is what I wonder."
I said pretty much the same thing right here

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Would've liked Hill more.

Mercilus will be a great player though. He has the heart MW is missing.

Lets see a trade up for J.Martin/Hill.

It was a wild 1st rd.
Take a look at the list of WR's still on the board .... and the fact that the 9ers passed on Hill has to make you wonder. No need to trade up with the number of highly rated WR's still on the board.
None of them look to be as good as Blackmon or Floyd but there is value deep in the draft at the position.
The number of WR's remaining is good news for the Texans , they may be able to pick DE , OL and trade back into the 3rd to grab a WR they like .... which would fill just about all the holes created in the offseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Most interesting tidbit to come out of today is that Wade Phillips as part of his contract has had it gauranteed that the 1st pick will always be a defensive guy.

That was a joke ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote