View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012   #29
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Maybe last years draft wasn't all Phillips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Typical response

We do know Rick takes a consensus. Probably whoever Gary wants on offense and Wade wants on Defense. As it should be. As far as a talent evaluator Rick is avg to below avg. He's as good as the people around him. He's certianly no Colbert/BB/Thompson when it comes to talent evaluation. 1 playoff appearence in 6 yrs doesn't change that. But you seem to be a person who will defend all that is Texans regardless of the lack of playoff appearances. If the OL gets worse next yr you will have an excuse and everthing will be hunky- dory (status quo/mediocrity, hopefully this doesn't happen but there will be excuses from you.)

Clue me in oh wise one on the great Rick Smith and his role with the Texans. If you know this answer you will be one of the few that does know what his actual role with the team is.

I can tell you this fairly certianly it isn't lead talent evaluator as it is for the GM's I mentioned above.
I agree with the bolded. Maybe that's why the offense has been so much better than the defense for 5 of 6 years. Smith doesn't pick coordinators, HC's do. Kubiak has chosen poorly at DC.

This season should be very, very telling as far as personnel decisions go, considering the players we let go.