View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012   #83
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Compensatory picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMikey View Post
While I would love to do the trade DutchRudder suggests, it just wouldn't happen.

A 2013 3rd round pick is considered to be valued as a 4th round pick in this years draft by most systems. Throwing in a 4th round pick and a 6th round pick will definitely *NOT* get a team to trade a late 2nd round pick.

Looking back at previous trades involving a future 3rd round pick, I found 2 similar trades.

64(2nd) = 84(3rd), 195(6th), next years 3rd

91 (late third) = 137 (5th round, but first pick in 5th), 213 (7th round, but early), next years 3rd

We should either expect to have to trade our current 3rd round pick, a late round pick, and next year's 3rd for a 2nd, or expect to get at best a 3rd round pick, and that is only likely if we toss in a 2nd late round pick (say 5th round).

Overall I wouldn't kill the Texans if they trade away a future pick, but don't expect them to get equal value for a future pick as if it was a pick this year, it just doesn't happen that way. One reason the Patriots often trade for future picks is they can find a team desperate and therefore are able to get 2nd or 3rd round picks in a future trade for 3rd or 4th round picks in the current draft. If anything, that's what a good team does. It takes advantage of desperate teams, rather than acting desperate itself.
I usually make fun of people who post once every six months because they have a tendancy to post something idiotic. This is not the case. Good job. You may now post once every 3 months man.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote