View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012   #60
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith Pre-Draft Press Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Someone's going to call Rick about 26 and try and get Weeden for fear that he won't get to them...

OK, that's me HOPING.
Generally, teams move up to a spot ahead of a team that could select their desired player. If not the pick just before, somewhere in the general area. When the Ravens moved up to #18 in 2008 to select Joe Flacco, they were trying to get ahead of Tampa Bay (selecting at #20). In the current scenario, there are no teams drafting after the Texans at #26 that would be poised to draft Weeden. No team is going to trade up just to trade up. And there's no reason to trade up to #26 to draft Weeden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If Jonathan Martin or Mike Adams are there at 26 then that will probably be the pick. Otherwise WR will be the way they go, with the possible exception of Fleener.
No way the Texans draft Adams. Or Jenkins. Or the CB from Nebraska that was recently arrested. It's the Texans. That's not how they roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Smith
(on if he’s confident that there will be a player available at the 26th overall spot who can step in and contribute right away like many of the Texans’ first-round picks in the past) “Well I think so and I think in the first round you try to get a player that will impact your team. Whether he’s a starter or not, I don’t know if that’s a prerequisite. But I do know that what you try to do is you try to add players that can come in and be impact players and if it’s an offensive player, he can make plays with the ball in his hands. Obviously a defensive player is either going to rush the passer or going to make plays on the ball if he’s a defensive back or a linebacker with sacks, or something like that. Somebody who impacts the team.”
Did Ricky just say that the Texans are going WR (or TE) if they draft offense in the 1st round?