View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012   #27
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith Pre-Draft Press Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I don't think we go OLine in rd 1 unless there is overwhleming value there. I just don't see it but I could be wrong. I just don't think they want two 1st rd tackles money wise and I just don't think a G is a wise investment at #26.
They have to pay the LT next year.

Put your money on the skill spots or a playmaking spot. I'm also looking at Smithiak's history. Other than Brown, everyone else on OL EVER is 3rd or lower. Hell, the RG was an NFL Europe project. They have proven they can take guys that are projects and turn them into players. What makes you think this year is any different?

I think it's Fleener or a pass rusher if they stay at that spot, and my money is on the rusher. Lots of choices there. I'm slightly partial to Shea McCellen, but there are numerous guys there who can rotate in and provide a rush. I think they would prefer to trade down, but finding a partner won't be easy. I put trade down odds at 20%.

I was high on Wright, but as I move along in my own eval's, I'm not sure I want to spend a #1 on a guy that looks like a slot WR to me - albeit a good one. I just don't think he has the frame to be a top shelf outside guy. Could be wrong there but that's how I view it.

The other WR's other than Fleener? Let's TRY to trade down if that's the idea. I don't see the value at #26 other than Fleener who is a WR in a TE body so for my purposes I'm calling him a WR. I would rather go OLB other than Fleener UNLESS an OL is overwhelming value at the pick.
With the departure of Winston and Brisiel, I think there will be sufficient value at 26 for us to justify the pick on an OL. And by saying "value" I mean "need." LOL.

Signing Foster and Myers to new deals was the first half of a plan that inlvoves signing a 1st round OL that makes the Foster/Myers signings as effective as possible. Whatever depth we had on the right side of the line just got promoted to starter roles.

Bob, Gary and Rick know the fans will CRUSH them (Bob, Gary, Rick) if they had cut Winston and then failed to have a quality, 1st round ZBS-style OL to help Butler/Caldwell. The health and depth of the line is paramount for 2012. Winston, IMO, was cut for piss poor pass pro. A statement is being made that the chances of this team hinge upon Foster/Myers and the quality of guys surrounding them.

Now is the time for us to grab a ZBS-style OL like we did when we grabbed Duane Brown.

Fleener is the wild card, like you and everyone else is saying, and for all the reasons you stated. I agree 100% on that.

I cannot see Wade being given a pick in round 1. I mean, it would have to be an exceptionally top-rated guy that they think every team before them failed to take and so we gotta' take him at #26. Kubiak needs groceries pretty bad.