View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith Pre-Draft Press Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Hmmm....could be a bit of double-speak from Rick.

At first he said "We have to look at OL group, can help ourselves at WR position, and depth in LB corps. Plus, You can always add corners."

Then he said "Impressed w depth in draft this year w WR/OL/LB positions."

Our speculation (the majority of posters here, IMO) was that NOW is the time to add a better WR, and that OL is a target for obvious reasons, and then the release of Ryans might dictate the need for a LB in the top 3 or 4 rounds.

Rick is mirroring that speculation, but do you think he figured he slipped up by being so open about our targets...so he then follows up by saying "DEPTH" to try and throw people off the trail?

He even mentioned maybe adding CB too...which fits the speculation about letting Jason Allen go and finding a challenger for KJ???

I think we have TOO obvious of a need at WR and OL, and a bit at LB and CB, to the point that we'rre not really going to be able to fake out teams picking a dozen or so spots in front of us. People know what we want, they know what we NEED. When you're getting better, people can easily see what players you need the next year. When you suck, you need EVERYTHING!

So I think Rick is not playing mind games. OL or WR in the 1st round is the highest percentage to bet on, IMO. I'd stake 75% on OL and a mere 25% on WR...and that's only if a guy or two at WR slips too far. Such as for some whacked out reason Michael Floyd fell to the 20's and we decided to risk the farm on him by moving up to get him. I think he's a Top 10 pick, tbh. Will not last past #15 at the worst. We have no chance to get the best WRs, but the OL is deep for what we look for in those guys.
I think Texans are cool with Butler for this season and will draft an OG (regardless if it is a OT to convert) 3rd round or later.

Fleener first round 60% (maybe after a trade down); OLB in second round 90% and first WR 3rd round or later 75%. Unless Zeitler falls to #58 I think we get our OG in 4th. Remember Caldwell played on two injured ankles & should be better than we saw.