View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Greg Cosell, NFL Films, first mock draft

17. Cincinnati: In my mock, Stanfordís David DeCastro is still available. Heís the pick for a Bengals offense that needs to run the ball effectively to achieve consistency. They signed two 30+ year old guards in free agency, Travelle Wharton and Jacob Bell, along with back BenJarvus Green-Ellis, but DeCastro would be a critical component of a revamped offensive line playing next to former first round RT Andre Smith. I know the Bengals have never drafted a guard in the first round, but, with Andy Dalton at quarterback, a balanced, efficient offense is a necessity.

18. San Diego: Norv Turnerís offensive modus operandi has always been balance, a consistent power run game setting the table for an intermediate and downfield passing game. It now looks as if Ryan Mathews can become the foundation back (three 20+ carry games in his last 5 in 2011) that Turner desires. Whatís needed to carry out the plan? Offensive line help. Cordy Glenn from Georgia is the pick. Glenn could transition to the NFL at 3 positions: LT, RT and inside at guard. Keep in mind the Chargers lost Kris Dielman to retirement. He was the most important piece in San Diegoís power run game.

19. Chicago: The pick here is Kendall Wright. Wrightís vertical explosiveness is a strong scheme fit with Jay Cutler. Cutler is a see it, throw it passer who often waits for his receivers to get open at the intermediate and deeper levels. Many will argue that offensive tackle is a pressing need, but having watched every 2011 Bears game on tape, I believe LT JíMarcus Webb has the physical skill set to play the position and showed improvement as the season progressed. In addition, Chicago drafted Gabe Carimi in the first round last year; he will be the right tackle. In a division that features Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford, the Bears will need to score to compete.

20. Tennessee: One of the most intriguing players I watched on tape was DE Whitney Mercilus. He rarely aligned wide in Illinoisí defense, which significantly limited his pass rush space and minimized his initial burst off the ball and his overall athleticism. The Titans need to rush the quarterback better (only 28 sacks in 2011), and they will select Mercilus and line him up wide to maximize his pass rush ability. At this point, Mercilus is a little bit of a straight line rusher with a limited repertoire but thereís no question he has burst and closing speed.

21. Cincinnati: The Bengals need help in the secondary. They have a lot of age and a number of question marks. Thatís why it makes sense to select Dre Kirkpatrick. Under the demanding eye of Nick Saban, Alabama corners are taught, and therefore are experienced playing in, all coverage concepts. What I liked evaluating Kirkpatrick was his understanding of different coverages, and his role in playing them properly. He knew when he could undercut routes in man coverage; he was aware of where his help was, whether it was underneath or over the top. Thereís no question he didnít always play to his physical and athletic attributes but the skill set to be both an effective press man corner and off zone corner is there.

22. Cleveland: The pick here is LSU WR Rueben Randle. Having chosen Richardson at #4, the Browns now select the big (6í3Ē, 210 pounds) and athletic Randle. He pairs with another big WR, Greg Little, Clevelandís second round pick a year ago, to give the Browns a young and physically imposing tandem that is a nice scheme fit in the Pat Shurmur/Brad Childress version of the West Coast offense. Randle, as Iíve said before, showed some similarities to the Giantsí Hakeem Nicks in terms of athletic movement and deceptive vertical speed. There were times watching tape I felt he was the quicker more athletic than both Justin Blackmon and Michael Floyd.

23. Detroit: The Lions must upgrade their offensive line. Detroit is a team built on explosive offensive plays with the strong-armed Stafford and the unique receiving talents of Calvin Johnson. You cannot ignore the importance of offensive line play to that team, and its profile. That leads me to Ohio Stateís Mike Adams. Adams is the most purely athletic of the offensive tackles in this draft class: long arms, quick and light feet, outstanding size and body length, excellent balance and body control. For a team that throws the ball as much as the Lions do, Adams is the right fit. His overall skill set transitions well to pass protection in the NFL.

24. Pittsburgh: The Steelers select one of my favorite players to watch on tape, Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler. Guard is clearly a position of need for Pittsburgh. Iím sure many will disagree, but I believe Zeitler is a better athlete than DeCastro. He has quick and active feet that allowed him to be very effective in the zone run game. He squared up well as a puller in the power run game, showing strength on contact. Zeitler was not as purely physical and nasty as DeCastro, but I saw a more athletic and complete OG.

25. Denver: This is now Peyton Manningís team. The profile begins with offense, just as it did in Indianapolis. Certainly there are needs on the defensive side of the ball, but the pick here is Coby Fleener. Fleener is a more athletic Dallas Clark, a tight end that can align all over the formation and get down the vertical seam. Seam routes off play action are critical in the Manning offense, and Fleener is a fluid route runner with deceptive speed. I remember Fleener beating Notre Dame corner Robert Blanton for a touchdown with a beautiful route, one that showed a great understanding of how to set up a defender. His ability to beat linebackers, safeties and even corners at times will give the Broncos offense the extra dimension Manning desires.

26. Houston: The pick is Riley Reiff, the left tackle from Iowa. Reiff would transition to RT for the Texans. He was a very efficient and controlled player, assignment disciplined snap after snap. He showed the lateral quickness and movement needed when executing the zone run game at Iowa. That, of course, is the staple of the Texans offense. As a pass protector, he was smooth out of his stance with good knee bend, balance and body control. He was robotic and repetitive, in a positive way. Heíll need some work and seasoning, as there were times the bull rush got inside of him due to slow hand movement. But Reiffís deficiencies can be cleaned up with coaching.

27. New England: This is where Shea McClellin comes off the board. He was one of my original diamonds in the rough, but now, as we approach the draft, everyone seems to be acknowledging what has always been there on the tape. He showed the ability to get low and bend the edge as a pass rusher. He also had an instinctive feel as an inside rusher for getting skinny, and getting through small cracks. He shed blocks and made plays in the run game. He was a smooth change of direction athlete with excellent balance and body control. My sense is he will get better in the NFL with a chance to be a dynamic edge pass rusher. Heís not as purely explosive as Clay Matthews, but I see some similarities as McClellin matures and develops.

28. Green Bay: Defensive coordinator Dom Capers has a bit of mad scientist in him. He likes defenders he can tinker with in a larger grand scheme. That leads Green Bay to Andre Branch from Clemson. One of the first things that struck me watching Branch was how he was deployed by the Clemson coaching staff. He was what I call a ďJokerĒ, a movable chess piece who aligned all over the defense, in both 2 and 3 point stances. Thatís a Capers kind of player. Thereís a lot to work with. Branch is long and athletic, and he showed at times the ability to get low and bend the edge and close with burst. Thereís no question Branch has a chance to develop into a quality NFL pass rusher.

29. Baltimore: The pick is Dontía Hightower from Alabama. Hightower was both a fascinating and frustrating watch. He was a multi-positional player in Nick Sabanís pro style defense, aligning at both inside and outside linebacker, and also at DE as a pass rusher in some sub-packages. He was effective in that pass rush role. At inside linebacker, he was an enigma. He took on lead blocks with physicality but he did not do it with good balance and often lost all his natural strength in the process. He was a little stiff and tight as a mover but yet at times showed deceptive build up speed. Overall there was enough on tape to see Hightower as a good prospect with some position and scheme versatility.

30. San Francisco: The 49ers team profile will not likely change in 2012. Run the ball, play outstanding defense and special teams and win with fundamental execution as opposed to occasional splash. While it might not be sexy, the pick here is Peter Konz from Wisconsin. Konz played center for the Badgers but could easily slide to guard in the NFL. Another highly disciplined Wisconsin offensive lineman, Konz played with an excellent combination of movement and strength. He was not a road grader but in tandem with his active and constantly moving feet he was effective moving defensive linemen. The other attribute that stood out: Competitiveness.

31. New England: This is where Michael Brockers comes off the board. Brockers is a development player with great size, long arms and natural power. When he stayed low and played with leverage he could be dominating. He also flashed quick and violent hands. Are there similarities down the road to Richard Seymour, clearly a better player coming out of college than Brockers? Will Brockers have the explosive strength and leverage to win the battle for the neutral zone? Will he establish a new line of scrimmage? The key for Bill Belichick is how impactful that kind of player is for other defenders. I can see Belichick looking at Brockers and seeing a raw, less refined Seymour; a piece of fresh clay that he can mold.

32. Giants: Tom Coughlin still wants to run the ball. Never forget that. Boise Stateís Doug Martin is the pick. Martin has a feature back mentality. He attacked downhill with decisiveness, determination, toughness and competitiveness. There was a blue collar, workingman element to his game that was more appealing and captivating with each tape I watched. He ran with velocity, and that translated into natural power. There were some elements of Ray Rice in Martinís running style. Martin was one of the last players I re-watched late in the process, and I liked him more each time I saw him.

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/c...ks-mock-draft/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote