Thread: Stephen Hill
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012   #203
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stephen Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Lengthy, but fantastic 3-part read by Matt Waldman - well worth the effort:

WRs Stephen Hill and Marvin Jones: Managing Physical Play (Short)

Georgia Tech wide receiver Stephen Hill is tall, fast, and has a frame that will likely support another 10-15 pounds of muscle without sacrificing his 4.36-40 speed. Cal wide receiver Marvin Jones is a shade under 6’2″ and 200 pounds and he appears to have the type of physique that wouldn’t add weight if he injected liquified Crisco with an IV. Yet if I were building a team from scratch and you asked me which receiver I’d rather have catching passes from my quarterback, at this moment I’d take Jones despite the fact Hill’s physical skills are uncommon...

"Hill's route lacks a sharp angle from his break. As you can see he's beginning his turn at the three and giving his opponent the chance to turn is hips early to anticipate the path from the break. The orange line is where Hill should have begun his break."

This is the author "assuming" that Hill was supposed to run a deep in.

It certainly looks to me like he was running short post, going up about 7 yards deep then angling toward the post.

Dale Moss caught one running this route in the East-West Shriner game (his only catch, but it wasn't his fault; he wasn't targeted but twice.)

As a complement to that route, Moss also ran a post-corner route.
This one looks like a short post at the beginning, but as the receiver makes his angle cut to the post at seven yards (thereabout), he puts on a double move and cuts back toward the corner. (The QB failed Moss on this play as he put the ball way too long). Moss beat Josh Norman, a CB that might go in round 3-4.

I've been watching Randle since yesterday, and I saw him ran the same post-corner route against Miss. St. for a TD.
Randle wasn't as smooth/sharp in and out of the break as Moss, but the CB was caught peeking into the backfield. (He didn't "really" stick his inside foot into the ground.)

Come to think of it, I found the highlight here:
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=312580344
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote