View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Trade Up BIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
But atl gave up way too much. Torey smith was just as good and could have been had at atl's pick.

#6: Cleveland → Atlanta. (D) Cleveland traded this pick to Atlanta for Atlanta's first (27th overall, which later became #26), second (59th) and fourth-rounder (124th) and also Atlanta's first- and fourth-round selections in 2012.

Way too much.
Julio Jones was an ascending player who blew up the combine, he had one of the most impressive workouts I've ever seen across spectrum of tests. He was also considered top 10 talent, much like Blackmon so Atlanta moved up to secure him #6 overall. Torrey Smith was rated #38 prospect & slid a bit to #58 something I hope that Brian Quick will do for the Texans this year.

Jones was hampered by injury's & missed valueable game time off & on never quite getting rounded into form until end of the season. In the last four games Julio scored 6 TD's, 20 receptions almost 400 yards & 20 yard per catch average. Torrey Smith actually did the reverse, hit the rookie wall & began to decline towards end of season. His last four games produced only 2 TD's, 18 receptions for almost 200 yards almost half the average yards per catch & one third the red zone threat.

So before anybody calls out Atlanta, saying "they gave up too much" or that Torrey Smith is "just as good" that would be a misconception, these are valid points to consider. Jones showed his potential, I expect him to become a dominant WR in this league, his adjustment period looks over to me & Falcons will start reaping results of that draft day decision. If the Texans could trade up to 6th spot & give up similar package I wouldn't hesitate to make that call

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote