View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012   #30
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dutch's Mock Draft v1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It just so happened that you pick out 4 of the worst games Cousins had (against 4 good to very good defenses).

As a comparison, you could check out Weeden's games against: La Lafayette, UT, Okl, Tulsa, Ks St for example.

On top of that, the Spartans offense is much much closer to what the Texans run than what Weeden runs at Okl. St.

I'm not sold on Cousins either, but I think he's as ready as Weeden now (but fits the scheme better) and also has better potential than Weeden in the long run.

If I run the Texans, I would take Keenum and Wilson (who ran another similar offense to the Texans) in the lower rounds (as compared to Cousins and Weeden). Both of these small guys played better under pressure.
If one of them gets hurt, I still have the other.
I will have to carry 4 QBs or I can put Wilson on the PS.

I have been concentrating mostly on QBs and WRs so I had watched a lot of these guys' games (including Osweiler, Tannehill, Foles, Moore, all the top prospects that are scheduled to appear on Jon Gruden's QB camp.)

Wilson is the only one that I haven't seen in more than 7 games.
Well 3 of those teams happened to be among the best pass defenses he faced all year. Those are his most important games of the year, and you want to forget about them? OK... I watched those games because they were on TV down here in Texas, he failed to help his team much in each game, that leads me to think he's kind of mediocre at best. When the going got tough, he fell apart. Not a quality I look for in QBs. He also played pretty poorly against Nebraska and Michigan, which are the other two big games of the year. So what opponents did he play well against? At home against Wisconsin appears to be the only quality win in which he did well.

Weeden on the other hand stepped up in the Fiesta bowl, against Kansas State, @TAMU and @UT, which I attended. The UT defense was a bit underrated this year, but they played hard in that game and it was surprising that Weeden did as well as he did in Austin. He handled the big games this year really well, and was one Thursday night OT win away from making the National Championship.

Quote:
As a comparison, you could check out Weeden's games against: La Lafayette, UT, Okl, Tulsa, Ks St for example.
Lafayette wasn't a great game for him, but it was the first of the season, so I'm willing to let that go. He certainly wasn't at the top of his game, as you can see by watching just about every other game that year for comparison. I would say that was his worst game of the season.

@UT is never an easy game for any opponent. Their home record over the last decade is insanely good and is probably akin to playing @Ohio State or @Michigan. Weeden did play decently in that game, despite what the statline may tell you. He certainly didn't throw away the game at any point.

@Tulsa, well the game started at midnight and finished at 3:30am. I dunno about you, but I'm willing to give him a pass on those two INTs. He still completed 74% of his 39 passes with 2 TDs. What more do you want?

Oklahoma was a beat down. They were up 24-3 at half and ran the ball for over 250 yards that game. I don't think they really relied on him to pass much. It was a pedestrian game for him, 216 yards, no TDs or INTs. I don't know what you want from the guy in that scenario as the coach clearly preferred to run it down OU's throat.

Kansas state? What? He completed 78% of his passes for 502 yards with 4 TDs and 2 INTs. What could you possibly complain about that game? The two INTs? Oh well, when you average 43 pass attempts a game, you're gonna get some INTs, it happens. Cousins on the other hand averages 30 pass attempts a game, and yet the INT numbers between the two of them are 13 and 10.

------

And just an FYI to your conference argument, using the ratings from the site you linked, Cousins did not play against the top 3 pass defenses in the B10 conference this year, Penn Stat, Mich St and Illinois. All of the Big 12 teams had to play against guys like Griffin, Weeden, Tannehill and company. It's a passing league, so when the passing defense is lower ranked on a national rating, I'm not surprised.

Also, using the top 500 draftable players or whatever you were talking about is kind of a sketchy indicator. Just because players are drafting doesn't really give a good idea of how good the conference is. Could be a lot of guys graduating or leaving school early to draft. It's not always consistent.