Originally Posted by Wolf6151
1. Wright, put me in the strong dislike group. Good player but not for the Texans.
2. Schwartz, very good pick.
3. Davis, I'm not familiar with Davis but what I read sounds good.
4. Irvin, I like the player but he's been arrested several times and the Texans have publicly stated they can forgive one mistake but not a pattern of stupidity. If we take Davis there's no need for Irvin.
4. Childs, if available he's a great pick, I think he goes in the 3rd, great value if available.
5. Baptiste, decent/good pick in the 5th, very low risk and a position of need.
6. Bullock, might be the best pick in this mock, should anchor the K position for the next 10-15 yrs.
7. Gettis, Iowa produces some very good O-linemen but he better add approx. 15-20 lbs. without losing athleticism. Low risk, high value pick, probably on the practice squad.
Thanks for the good feedback. From the tape I have been able find on Demario Davis I have seen a quick first step and long arms but I have not really seen many, if any pass rushing moves even though they had him rushing from the outside some of the time. Maybe the scouts believe he can rush the passer (obviously they have a lot more tape). I've tried to find and read everything I can on Davis because when I watched a video on him I was blown away by his closing speed, and nasty predisposition. People have him listed as a 4-3 OLB but same was the case for Navarro Bowman.
I need to move Childs to the first 4th round pick, it is highly probable that he will be gone by the late 4th. If the Texans think this guy is back to pre injury form (the real deal) they could bypass drafting Wright and move back a couple of spots from #26 to lets say pick #30 and then maneuver their way into the 3rd to draft Childs. I could see teams wanting to move up to select two guys who will probably be available at #26, Konz & Fleener.
Like I said this rush linebacker class sucks, especially after the first third or half of round 2. The Texans seem to put an emphasis on athleticism (10 yard splits) and motor when drafting OLB's so guys I could see us moving back a couple of spots and drafting a guy like Andre Branch. Wade likes to have him a bunch of pass rushers and places a high value on them. This is why I could see us drafting an OLB this high.
I would really love to see us draft Brandon Thompson in round 2. I think he would be a perfect fit for our system but I don't think he will be available in round 2 and there seems to be a really big drop off at OT after Schwartz. Like I said, we are one injury away from Derek Newton starting at RT.
A little off topic but it relates to the draft. Most people say that Cody will be gone next year but I think that his services will be retained. Unfortunately Antonio Smith looks like a prime cap casualty prospect next off season because of his high salary, age, and being a UFA after the 2013 season. For this reason I think this year or next we either draft a NT to compete with and or complement Cody and move Mitchell to DE or we draft a DE really high next year.