View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Mayock on 2012 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
OK in a span of a week, Mike Mayock takes McClellin from the #5 to the #2 OLB in the draft. Then states that after watching "more tape" he likes McClellin more. My question: What were you basing your original rankings off of? How do we know whether you've watched equal amounts of tape on all of the OLB prospects?

To me, it seems disingenuous. I firmly believe that Mayock (like Mel Kiper) gathers information on prospects from NFL contacts, and re-packages the information as his own. Sure, Mayock complies the lists and makes decisions on which information to trust. But that's not what he's selling.

From my perspective, there's been only one draft guru who wasn't a suckerfish and scouted for himself. The late Joel Buchsbaum (mistakenly called Buschbaum) of Pro Football Weekly. One of the fathers of draftnik industry, you may not have agreed with Joel, and he wasn't always right. But when Buchsbaum opined on a prospect, you knew that opinion was his own, developed in the film room.

To be fair, I have changed my mind on McClellin as well. I'm not a professional draft guru either but still....

When I first watched McClellin I didn't see the flash plays. But the more I watched the more I realized that he's going to be the type of player that is there every play at the worst. Add in that he seems to have a high work ethic, high motor and I think he's one of the better players at the position. Personally, I like Bruce Irvin better as a football player, but that's besides the point which is that I like McClellin more now than I did originally...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote