Thread: Bl Top 32
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012   #49
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bl Top 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I've seen Poe mocked to Carolina more than a couple times because why? elite size, movement & runs a fast forty, but show me the tape. He made some money @ the combine for sure, remember a lot of us took pause when thinking Texans had a shot. But this isn't football it's just a workout. Sure Brockers didn't run a fast forty (5.36 but improved to 5.15 @ his Pro-Day) however scouts don't really care about forty times for linemen they only care about how explosive they are out of the blocks, in the first 10 yards. Brockers is only a redshirt sophomore so naturally he does have development & potential ahead of him but already has the body 6-6, 316 lbs & 35" arms plus game film to warrant a Top 10 pick, at least in my book.
Neither Poe or Brockers will be drafted based upon what they've done at college. They'll both be drafted based upon their potential in the NFL. You're gambling either way. A case can be made for Brockers playing in the SEC. But their have been plenty of d-lineman out of the SEC that have onderachieved or were out right busts. And their aren't many DTs like Poe coming out of smaller-mid level schools any longer, because the high schools are so well scouted. There have been only 2 DTs from non-BCS schools drafted in the 1st round in the past 20 drafts.

The reward for the team drafting either Poe or Brockers could be great. Dominant defensive linemen can help win games. Ask teams like the Giants or Ravens. But that reward comes with risk. DTs have some of the highest bust potential of any position. I don't think there's any way to know from what they have/haven't accomplished in college whether Poe or Brockers will succeed. A team will have to draft them based on feel and belief in their own player development.