Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan
I wanted to have a discussion here on thoughts for this upcoming draft, primarily about Trading. Clearly it depends on what players are available for us OR for a team coveting a certain player. I'd say this discussion is much more towards the idea and maybe some possible partners.
1) Trade down from our 1st for a 2nd rounder + later round pick. Sure depends how far as to what compensation we should receive... but are there teams you see possibly trading up to late 1st? Teams with multiple 2nd/3rd round selections that could be good trading partners?
2) Trading out to receive a 2013 1st Round pick. This one is much more outside the box because we've never done this in our history. But I absolutely love the NE Patriots draft days. They always seem to trade down and gain future 1st or 2nd round picks. Maybe this year is not the time, but I want us to get in that philosophy.
Possible Partners? The Oakland Raiders. Gone are the Crazy Al days (maybe)... but before compensatory picks are awarded, all they have is a 5th rounder and a 6th rounder. The should receive some decent comp picks though for losing Nnamdi et al. But the fact remains that would be END of the third / beginning of the 4th kind of pick.
Hypothetically how would you feel if we traded our 2nd round pick to the Raiders for their 4th rounder in 2012 and their 1st rounder in 2013? I'm not sure if this value would be fair (for us or them)... but mainly want to gauge the message board's opinions on this type of thinking.
Compensatory picks cannot be traded.
When constructing trade scenarios, first imagine what teams would want to trade up and who may they target.
Here are some potential 2nd round trade downs:
1. Minnesota. They need a CB. Maybe they jump up for Stephon Gilmore?
2. Carolina. They also need a CB. Maybe they jump up for Gilmore.
3. Miami desperately needs a rush linebacker or WR. Options here.
4. St. Louis need O line to protect Bradofrd. Maybe jump up for Adams, Glenn, Zeitler. etc.
5. KC needs interior OL. Maybe Konz, Glenn, Zeitler, Osemele, etc.
With any of these moves, here are some potential trades:
1. Minnesota gets 26, Texans get 2nd round+ 4th round+ a 3rd next year.
2. Carolina gets 26, Texans get 2nd round + 4th rounder + 3rd next year
3. Miami gets 26, Texans get 2nd rounder +3rd rounder
4. St. Louis gets 26, Texans get 2nd rounder(33) +4th and 5th next year
5. KC gets 26, Texans get 2nd round, 3rd round, and 5th this this year or 4th next year.