Originally Posted by rmartin65
Nice mock. I like the positions taken, but there are some picks that I would have changed. That said, if the draft went down this way I would be a happy fan.
1) Hill... a lot of talent, great size, but has a limited sample size (47 catches, right?). If he pans out, a fantastic talent. I happen to think his bust potential is pretty high though, so I would prefer to grab another position here and grab one of the numerous round 3/4 prospects.
2) Will Thompson be available? If so, nice pick.
3) Again, nice pick. Wont complain there.
4) I am not a Jenkins fan, as I have written in Doppel's thread. I think he is a stat compiler, and not a difference maker. I think a guy like Wylie would be much better here, a pure slot guy with excellent return ability.
4) Yep, realized I switched your 4s. Cole is a good player, and fills a need. Good pick.
5) I like going pass rusher, but I dont know a lot about Wilber. I know bah just took him for the Texans in our draft, so since the both of you like the guy for the Texans, I am going to do some more research. I prefer to address OLB a bit earlier, but still a nice pick.
6) I like Bolden. Provided Tate stays, I would like to see Ward walk. Bolden sows good explosiveness and wiggle, and could be a gem in our offense.
7) If we are going to go safety (I dont think we will- We have two entrenched, young starters, and the backups are not terrible), I would prefer to get one that can be a backup to both positions. I dont see a lot of range with this guy.
1. I realize Hill is a risky pick but he looked good in drills at the Combine and at his Pro Day as well. All draft prospects are risky, no one can see the Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Okoye, Travis Johnson, etc. etc etc... coming because their's no way to measure character and work ethic. No team thinks their drafting a bust player but it happens every year, there's risk with everyone.
2. I agree here, not sure if Thompson will be available. This one might take some luck. Hey someone has to fall.
4. I like Jenkins, I don't see him as a future super star WR but I like his hands and see him as a possession receiver in the slot that has the speed to stretch the field or break a big one if given half a chance.
6. The Bolden pick is based on Tate staying and Ward walking. I like the fact he's been used in the passing game and can catch. He would be higher in the draft but had a down senior season due to some injuries that kept him out of a few games, but nothing terrbily serious.
7. I think Barber and Keo are terrible. Barber is good on special teams but sucks as a Safety and Keo is bad as well. The Safety class as a whole is terrible this year, Cattouse isn't great but he's got some coverage ability, decent college productivity, Cal puts out some great athletes, and going to Cal I assume he's smarter than your average football player. I'm willing to roll the dice on a guy in the 7th round and get Barber and Keo off the team. I also like drafting Safeties and LB's in the late rounds for depth but also because they're going to be playing special teams and are used to hitting and tackling.
I agree a Kicker and Punter should be picked up but I think we can get them as UDFA.