View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012   #56
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sean Payton suspended one year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
ain't the same league as in the 70's. I think it is one thing to have the players have a little pool but when you have management directing your guys to hurt someone, you are totally, totally, totally crossing the line. Your Son plays football...why do you think that this is ok or is it ok that if your son ever played in the NFL you would be ok with team management schemeing to break his leg or put him out of the game with a concussion? Is that what you are saying? You think this game is too soft a game because its not ok to intentionally hurt someone?
I don't know, man...Mario got a $100 million to do what? Knock the ever living crap out of QBs.

It's a fine line. Not condoning a bounty program, but in the big picture, there is not a whole lot of difference between it and paying a dude mad money to achieve the exact same end result.

We are kidding ourselves if we do not recognize the basic fact that we cheer as fans when one of our defensive players slams an opposing QB to the ground. I have been to way too many NFL games and felt the crowd's reaction to those hits.

I think you are reading to much into my words with the stuff about my son. That's too much assumption. I'm just making observations about the bi-polar nature of the NFL these days and how they market the product that they are selling us.

Heck, my son has been trained to cut block in a zone scheme, something still legal in the NFL in spite of the on-going debate regarding it's potential to hurt defenders. It's only a matter of time before the NFL outlaws this technique.

They tell these players that it's "war" and they are "going into battle". You know the locker room rhetoric. Considering opponents "enemies" and other phrases borrowed from war and conflict.

Mixed signals. Now it's be mean! But not too mean. Hit hard! But not too hard.

Again, I was clear in my initial message that I do not condone a bounty program. But, I do see a paradox in the way this league operates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I read DB as saying how the league is bi polar on the issue.

Not that he condones either position, but how the league puts out conflicting messages. Hard for the players to know what is ok or not based on that.
My thoughts exactly. I bought DVDs from the NFL just a few years ago. It was not too long ago that the league celebrated big, nasty hits. It's the football we grew up on. Now there is a clear agenda to promote offense, protect offensive players, and it's about selling product to make money.

Look at Amazon.com right now:

NFL: Moment of Impact (2007)

"First you hear the breathing, then you feel the wind coming through your helmet's ear hole. Suddenly you're down, and you're looking through your helmet's ear hole. Pain? That's for tomorrow morning. Right now you've gotta focus - focus on the next play and try not to focus on the next Moment of Impact. Moment of Impact takes you through the rugged world of the NFL like never before. You'll go into the huddle, up to the line, and under the pile with some of the game's roughest customers - men like Ray Lewis, Patrick Kearney, John Lynch and Michael Strahan. You'll meet some of the greatest defensive units of all time and find out which teams have a "tradition by position". But hard-hitting isn't limited to defense - we'll take a look at offensive players who can dish it out as well as they can take it as well as the art of being a "gunner" on special teams. Presented by NFL Films, Moment of Impact combines exclusive player-wires as well as game sound and interviews to provide an intense football experience you just can't get on Sunday afternoons. Buy yours today!"