View Single Post
Old 08-09-2004   #7
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Longhorns
I disagree.

I think that on average, playoff teams have better preseason records than the bottom teams. That is not to say that a 0-4 preseason is a lock for a bad season, but I bet on average 0-4 teams go one to have sub .500 regular season records. Any stat gurus wish to verify? It is a guess of mine.

I did a quick search of the preseason records for last year's playoff teams
Patriots 4-0
Titans 4-0
Colts 3-1
Broncos 3-1
Ravens 1-3

Panthers 4-0
Eagles 2-2
Cowboys 2-2
Seahawks 2-2
Green Bay 2-3

Preseason records for the bottom 10.
Chargers 2-2
Raiders 1-3
Cardinals 4-0
Giants 1-3
Redskins 1-3
Browns 1-3
Lions 2-2
Falcons 0-4
Jags 3-1
Texans 0-4

Last year the combined preseason record of playoff teams was 27-14
Last year the combined preseason record of the bottom ten was 15-25
And in 2002, only 5 of 12 playoff teams had winning records in the pre-season, and the same is true in 2001. In 2000, the Giants were 0-4, the Vikings were 1-3 and St. Louis was 2-2 in the pre-season and all 3 teams won their respective divisions.

The records in pre-season don't mean anything. They don't play the same game. 2nd string and 3rd string players take most of the snaps. You don't have the same game plan. You don't show your playbook in the pre-season. Pre-season is practice, evaluating players, nothing more.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote