Thread: Stephen Hill
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012   #159
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stephen Hill

Week 9 vs Clemson

Tech threw only 9 times;
Hill caught a hightlight reel pass for 44 and dropped a "not-so-easy-to-catch" pass.
Hill was open a few times (at least 2 TDs, unless he drops the ball, LOL!)

And He was great in run blocking as usual.

2nd Qtr

(2nd and 5) Washington, T. rush for 46 yards to the CU25, 1ST DOWN GT (WILLARD).

Good block by Hill, neutralizing the LCB, giving the QB room along the side line on the long run.

(3rd and 0) Washington, T. pass incomplete to Hill, S.

On third and goal at the 6, Hill lined up outside the right numbers.
He ran some kind of a go route or fade route toward the corner (can't see the middle of the route from the TV angle).
QB was pressured and threw the ball out of bound.

Near the end of the play, TV shows that Hill had blocked out the LCB and had plenty of room near the side line (in the end zone), a good 4-5 yards at least.
With a tall receiver like Hill, that should be pitch and catch.

(1st and 10) GEORGIA TECH drive start at 10:03.
(1st and 10) Sims, D. rush for 9 yards to the GT29 (CHRISTIAN;HAWKINS).

(2nd and 1) Washington, T. pass incomplete to Hill, S..

On a 45-yd vertical route (most likely the top-end of this QB's arm strength), Hill dropped a very catchable pass (but not the easiest pass to catch).

It looks like Hill was running a go route (outside release).
The CB was a step behind, but had inside position (obscuring the ball somewhat.)

A good pass should have been thrown to the outside or a yard or two deeper.
Hill was close to the numbers; he had at least 7-8 yards on the side line.

If Hill was to run a skinny post, then he would deserve a pure drop; however, as he was running a streak route, it's not all that simple for me to crucify him.
It's still a drop, but it's not a "terrible" drop.

Similar to the other drop, the approach angle to the ball is not optimum.
As I understand it, you'd like the receiver's shoulder to be as parallel to the LOS as possible, not to the side line.

Hill's speed is too fast for this QB, but (knowing his teammate) he needs to learn to adjust to the ball. Perhaps, he can do what Galloway did in the Skins game back in 2010 to put himself in a better situation to catch the ball.

The QB is not going to throw a perfect pass every time.
Hill could have encroach toward the inside a little more (as the DB never turned his head) to get a PI call when the DB runs into him.

LOL, I don't know, could be too much of my own narrative here, so let's just call this a drop.

At any rate, from what I saw, it looks more like technique rather than bad hands.
"Bad hands" is when a receiver is in good position and drops the ball.
I've seen Blackmon and Wright drop much easier catch than that.

(1st and 10) Washington, T. pass complete to Hill, S. for 44 yards to the CU10, 1ST DOWN GT.

Make-up time for Hill.

In another inverted cover two situation, Hill ran a post route from outside the numbers.
The LCB knew that it was lost and tried to pull on Hill's shoulder (it makes no difference).

Hill shook it off, laid out to grab the ball with one hand, pulled it into the other hand so that he can brace his landing as to prevent a face palm (maintain control of the ball throughout the catch).

The highlight reel can be found here:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=313020059

(While you're there, watch the long TD catch by the Tigers' FR receiver Watkins.
He looked really, really good.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote