Thread: Stephen Hill
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012   #137
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stephen Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
1. Did you see marginal hands from Hill at the combine or in several plays last season?

2. Catching the ball in traffic is one thing; you can't expect a receiver who had to catch the ball with a defender coming straight at him to be able to hold on to the ball every time (due to a late throw by the QB; ie. Andrew Luck's style.)
And when did you notice that Hill didn't do a good job at catching the ball "in traffic"; can you bring up a few examples - there must be several to make you feel so uncomfortable about the guy.
Here's what i see with this guy:

1..if you call dropping passes when you're wiiiidddeee open then yes i did see marginal hands b/c I hardly saw any "hands" catches at all....not even on hitch routes. i saw nothing from a hands perspective that wowed me & made me think this guy is worthy of a 1st round pick. You can contrast this with almost every WR thought to be going in the 1st 2 rounds & it's not even close honestly. I could care less about the combine b/c you're not playing against anyone out there.

I admit, the catching in traffic thing was more of an educated guess by me considering that the bulk of his catches are made when he's running/sitting wide open. That will be a rarity in the NFL & he'll likely have guys draped all over him. That statement was made more with the thought of him not reacting favorably to this having been wide open all the damn time. When he was covered, more often than not, you hardly ever saw him displaying that obvious superior athleticism to win....if the ball wasn't out in front of him.

Other things i noticed: he doesn't appear to have good awareness with his feet on sideline throws. Even on plays where he got both feet in...he made it look more close than it probably should've been. He also doesn't appear to play as fast as his combine 40 time indicates imo. And all in all, there's just not enough production there to say that GT's offense & qb play was the main thing holding him back. Calvin Johnson played in the same offense if im correct & he was a monster for 2 years.

He reminds me a ton of Roy Williams out of UT. Dude was dubbed a "genetic phenomenon" by scouts & homers alike....got in the pros & well, you know the rest.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote