View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mocking Madness - of just a little try by a german guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I don't mean production in terms of stats. I mean production in terms of impact. How does he make an impact and produce for his team?

I admit I've seen about six games worth of footage on Poe. It's not easy to find. And I don't absolutely hate the guy. But I think he needs serious coaching at the next level. You aren't just gonna plug this guy in and have an All Pro, as many people seem to think because of his combine numbers.

I've got a mid-late 2nd round grade on him and I think he has serious bust potential. If he explodes and turns into Ngata then you guys can laugh in my face but this is my feeling on him. I obviously seem to be in the minority.

Despite his strength and size, Poe doesn't play nearly as strong as you would think. Some of that is due to poor technique. But a lot of it seems to be that he doesn't know how to use his body. A lot of people think that can be fixed. I tend to disagree.

He can be easily sealed off and turned away from a play. If you try to run right into his teeth he will kill you. I admit that. But who in their right mind is going to try to run right through a 350 pounder? Not may people. He has trouble (against C-USA linemen who will never sniff the pros) using his hands to break off of blocks and he doesn't create good leverage.

It's actually insane how good of an athlete he is. But despite his immense size and reputed strength, I think he looks more like a 3 tech than a nose. He might as well have his arms chopped off because he doesn't use them on the field. His conditioning is pretty bad (as you would expect, he weighs 350).

I think he can be coached to have better footwork. He moves sideways and backwards too much, almost like he is afraid to take on a blocker. He plays with high pads so hopefully you can teach him how to use better leverage. But you are going to be totally remaking him. I don't know how you fix his arms and hands. He flat out doesn't use them.

So in the end, we are talking about using a top 15 pick on a guy who:
- is strictly a two down player
- needs to have his footwork totally redone
- needs to be taught how to understand leverage and how to create it
- needs to be taught what his arms are and how they can be used to move off blocks

If we're talking second round? Sure, take a shot. He is an incredible athlete and I don't see any questions about work ethic. First round? I'll pass and let someone else take the risk.

I didn't see him having trouble with any of the linemen in the clips/games I've watched...

He pretty much did what he want, but I noted above that he lacked recognition at times and failed to re-direct when rushing the passer.

My thing is that he pretty much required a double team most of the time in pass protecion...If he can provide consistent push up the middle from the NT position this defense could be absolutely unstoppable...And you said yourself that he dominates runs towards him...

In college he played a lot of 5 technique...Put him in the middle in between Watt and Smith and give him less space to be responsible for and I think he can dominate the area in between the gaurds which would be a tremendous help to the defense...

But I think all of this is moot though, because I don't think he'll be on the board when we pick.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote