View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012   #31
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Grantland: Free Agent Hype Chronicles: Arian Foster

I won't have any problem with the team franchising Arian but I believe there is a great deal of upside in making him a RFA and it has absolutely nothing to do with the first round pick we could receive as compensation.

If, for instance, Arian and his agent are negotiating based off that ridiculous Chris Johnson contract we are not going to be able to come to terms with him. Let him hit free agency and the market can dictate his value. I believe he would get a lucrative offer but I very much doubt there is a single team in the league that gives him something outrageous.

I also don't believe another team could come up with an offer we could not match, front-loading be damned. If we have to cut/restructure to fit him in there won't be a problem imo. Plus, if the deal is heavily front-loaded its most likely not going to be a cap killer in the long run.

Now if some team does do the unthinkable and offers him Chris Johnson money we wind up with their first round pick in a worst case scenario and probably increase our chances at retaining Mario. Certainly there is some risk but I think there is some serious reward potential in letting the market set his value.