Thread: Stephen Hill
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012   #112
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stephen Hill

Week 2 vs. Middle Tennessee
(I did not watch this game either)

The Yellow jackets attempted only 10 passes (8 by the starter Washington).
Hill caught 3 for 126 yards (including the 71 yd TD pass.)

On the 71yd TD pass, Hill lined up as the widest receiver in a tight formation and ran a simple post route.

There was nothing to it as the safeties failed.
Note that Hill did have to reach back to grab the ball.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=312532393

On the following 43yd catch, Hill lined up outside the hashmarks.
He ran a seam route and did a good job stemming to the inside of the hashmarks before swerving back outside the hashmarks (look carefully at the beginning of the route.)
This gave him the seperation needed to catch the ball.
He also did a good job concentrating on the ball even with the contact.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=312532393

(3rd and 9) Washington, T. pass incomplete to Hill, S. (Ikner, Arness)

(2nd and 15) Washington, T. pass incomplete to Hill, S. (Edwards, T.L.).

The two plays above showed incompletions, but did not denote any dropped pass.
I don't know how he ran the routes, since I didn't watch the game.

Both guys with names in parentheses are CBs, so it's either a pass defended or the DB was close enough to the play to get credit.
Whether the passes were incompleted due to no separation or a good play by the DB or a poor throw by the QB or whatever, we don't know.
But they weren't dropped passes.

The descriptions of the plays were taken from the official ncaa game book.
I use them (similarly as I use the nfl.com gamebook) to help while breaking down game tapes. For the most part, they are pretty consistent... but I can't be held against some sloppy work (yes, there were and always will be - normal human error, I'm not the exception.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote