View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mocking Madness - of just a little try by a german guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
There is no guarantee that Poe will be good in the NFL, but to answer your question: Coaching plays a big role in a players development and play on the field.

You can be big, strong and determined, but if you don't have good coaches putting you in good positions and teaching you the right things to do then it makes it harder on you. We've seen guys get better before with competent coaching.

I don't know if this is the case with Poe, but I think with him coming from Memphis it's entirely possible that a good coaching staff in the NFL could at the very least make him into a good starter.

It's not like he was awful and soft at Memphis...he just didn't show up as much as people would have liked him to.
I'm not going to disagree with you there. But there is a track record for guys who are taken really high only because of their athleticism, with no on field production to back it up. And that track record isn't good at all.

It's true that poor coaching can have an effect on players. Hell, we've seen it here. But it's also true that if a guy is an absolutely phenomenal talent, he can usually be a productive player regardless of coaching. Especially when you consider that the level of competition he was playing against isn't even in his league.

Think about it. Poe is probably 35-40 lbs bigger than anybody that ever tried to block him. But not only that, he is twice as strong, twice as quick, and twice as fast as the best lineman he has ever faced. In that situation, coaching shouldn't be too big of a detriment.

I'm not saying that Poe will absolutely, 100% be a bust. But I am predicting it. People seem to think that there is a correlation between 40 times, bench press, and football ability. But there isn't.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote