View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012   #35
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Dream Mock thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
If you compare 2 OL, and one has 32" arms and puts up 30 reps and another guy puts 25 reps with 37" arms you would assume the first guy was stronger, BUT if you measured the actual range of motion you would see the first guy is pushing through a shorter range of motion thus making the exercise easier. For example, if you measure the distance from chest to lockout on OL 1 you might find he only has to push the bar 14" whereas OL 2 might have to push 20" - thus making the exercise harder from him. I would bet considerable money that if you had OL 2 put a 6" block on his chest to equalize range of motion his number of reps would undoubtedly go up.
If it's distance, according to your example short arm guy moved the same weight a farther total distance. I'm not saying it has no effect whatsoever...I just personally believe it's not THAT big of a deal. I think overall body mass DOES have a lot to do with it, finding two guys of the same height and weight with appreciably different length of arms is kind of...not really common at all. If it does matter, then they need to come up with some sort of calculation to run each guy's test to make them more comparable. Something that takes into account body mass, arm length and such and comes up with a specific weight for them to press, it should be something like 90% of their weight +/- a % for limb length. At least we can agree that everyone pressing 225 is kind of dumb.
Quote:
My main issue that you have these athletes training for muscular endurance before the combine and its a waste of time as force output is more important for an OL. Id love to see a test where they hook a force plate up to a blocking sled and have an OL fire out and pop the sled to measure their force output, now that would be interesting.

I also agree with you, having a CB or WR lift the same weight as a DL or OL is ridiculous as well.
Hell yeah, Sports Science should be all over this.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote