View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012   #26
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Dream Mock thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I hear bigger guys say this but I think it's bunk. A 6'5'' 300 pound OL probably has longer arms than a 5'11'' 190 pound CB, right? But a 300 pound guy isn't pressing MORE than his own body weight, in fact it's much less % wise than what the CB is faced with: pressing MORE than his own weight. Any perceived disadvantage in arm length is hilarious when you've got bigger, stronger muscles to lift with. They ask 190 lb. guys to lift 225 but they don't ask 300 lb. guys to lift 350.
I think NFL coaches are less concerned with the differences between CB and OL in terms of bench numbers LOL. Limb length is an issue. There's a reason when you look at half the guys lifting in your local gym you'll see them pressing or squatting impressive weight, but only performing half reps. Shorter ranges of motion are easier to do. The more stretch you put on a muscle the less force it can develop, long arms will put a tremendous stretch on the chest and shoulders making these muscle work harder to lift the same weight. On the field long arms are a clear bonus, but in terms or weight lifting long limbs are a hinderance.

If you compare 2 OL, and one has 32" arms and puts up 30 reps and another guy puts 25 reps with 37" arms you would assume the first guy was stronger, BUT if you measured the actual range of motion you would see the first guy is pushing through a shorter range of motion thus making the exercise easier. For example, if you measure the distance from chest to lockout on OL 1 you might find he only has to push the bar 14" whereas OL 2 might have to push 20" - thus making the exercise harder from him. I would bet considerable money that if you had OL 2 put a 6" block on his chest to equalize range of motion his number of reps would undoubtedly go up.

My main issue that you have these athletes training for muscular endurance before the combine and its a waste of time as force output is more important for an OL. Id love to see a test where they hook a force plate up to a blocking sled and have an OL fire out and pop the sled to measure their force output, now that would be interesting.

I also agree with you, having a CB or WR lift the same weight as a DL or OL is ridiculous as well.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote