View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012   #25
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Dream Mock thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I know a lot of people buy into that but I don't. Now, if we're talking about a guy that does significantly less reps than the other players at his position then I agree we have a problem. But moving guys down your board because they did 5 or so less reps than someone else? That's crazy.

Once you start getting to 15+ reps you are not even testing muscular strength anymore anyway, you are testing muscular endurance.

Football is a fast twitch sport, and benching for reps recruits your slow twitch muscle fibers. So I would say it has very little to do with anything, unless like I mentioned, if a guy is significantly behind his peers.
So, if a 300+ lbs player is lifting less than some players who weigh 50 lbs less, what does that tell you? Or, a better example, if he's lifting less than his peers, who should weigh similarly, what does that tell you about his endurance? Like I said, it's just another tool for the coaches to evaluate what kind of player they are looking at. Does he fit their system? Is 18 reps a red flag for them? Maybe, maybe not. It's not the be all end all test for a player. Just one of many.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote