View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012   #20
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Dream Mock thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I know a lot of people buy into that but I don't. Now, if we're talking about a guy that does significantly less reps than the other players at his position then I agree we have a problem. But moving guys down your board because they did 5 or so less reps than someone else? That's crazy.

Once you start getting to 15+ reps you are not even testing muscular strength anymore anyway, you are testing muscular endurance.

Football is a fast twitch sport, and benching for reps recruits your slow twitch muscle fibers. So I would say it has very little to do with anything, unless like I mentioned, if a guy is significantly behind his peers.
I've been a strength coach for over 16 years, I hate the 225 test. There's a story about a bodybuilder and powerlifter having a squat contest. The PL squatted over 900lbs while the BB put up 800 (for the record the PL was the first man to squat over 1,000 in competition so 900 wan't a max). Then they put on 625 to see who could perform the most reps, the PL hit 12-15 and the BB hit 25. If you just look at their 625 numbers you would think the BB was the stronger of the 2, but in reality the PL is WAAAY stronger. It's the same thing with the 225 test. The theory is the stronger guy will bench 225 more times, but you need to factor in limb length and the athlete's genetic make up (fast twitch vs slow twitch ect..). Truth is you can't serve two masters. You can be good at reps or you can be good at a max output, but not both, they're too dissimilar.

There are so many cool aspects of the combine, but there are a bunch of things that I would love to see changed - a fully electronically timed 40, a better upper body strength/power evaluation, more position specific drills ect..

Last edited by otisbean; 02-29-2012 at 07:38 AM.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote