View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012   #18
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Dream Mock thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I agree. I put zero stock in bench press reps unless we're talking about a guy who can't hardly throw it up at all.

There are guys who throw up 35 reps but can't block a soul. And then you have guys who throw up 20 and end up as All Pros.

The only thing X number of reps on 225 tells me is how many times a guy can bench 225. It tells me nothing about his ability to play football.

I understand that people want to see a test for strength at the combine but repping out on bench press isn't a test of functional football strength.
It's suppose to show if a college player is dedicated to staying in good condition (strength) or if he was not so dedicated in the weight room. True, it doesn't show how good a football player he is, but it speaks more to his discipline as a player. As an example, no one can question Cushing's discipline because of his dedication in the weight room and his intense workouts. They knew he could play football by watching his tapes. The bench press is just another tool to find out what kind of person you're drafting.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote