View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012   #99
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith Quotes from Combine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I don't think anything changed. I think Rick Smith has been an excellent GM for the past 3 years, at least. This year we won and that makes him look better. I'll say again: what Smith did in the 2009 off-season is going to be remembered for 20 years or more around here. It will go down as one of the best off-season's in NFL history if this team is about to go on the run that I think it is.

As far as his BPA statements: yeah, he's blowing smoke. That's what most of them do, though. What I'll say, though, is they have done a good job not reaching for players. They positioned themselves well and identified their guys each of the past 4 years with the possible exception of 2010. That's a pretty good rate of success. Arguably, the Texans have drafted 3 all-pro players in the first round the past four years. I wouldn't argue to much about the method that achieved those results.
Agreed

This team is built on 3 drafts. IMHO

The rest of the drafts have either been meh or like the 2007 draft bad.

Rick wasn't hear for the 2006 draft so he's batting .500. However to give credit where credit is due Rick hit a homerun on the 2009 draft. Wade helped him on the 2011 draft. (Another homerun)

The measure of Rick as a GM will come over the next 2 yrs with all of the contracts needing to be reupped. If he does a great job there (signing the right guys and letting the right guys go) the Texans should be a great team for yrs to come.

BTW, I used to be on the fire Gary bandwagon. I still dont think he's a great gameday coach. But his work with Yates and the fact that the Texans will be needing another QB soon has me on the lets give Gary a 2 yr extention bandwagon.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote