View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012   #85
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Rick Smith Quotes from Combine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I can't believe the GM has final say over who gets picked instead of the coordinator who has to fit that guy into his system. Rick Smith sets no defenses (or offenses for that matter). He calls no plays. Why would his say-so carry more weight than the guy responsible for generating the defense or offense scheme??

Not only did Wade take Rick's list and whittle it down. My money says he - with his assistants - also ranked the guys on Rick's list. The only scenario I can see Rick having the final say is if Wade/Gary and the assistants have two guys ranked evenly. Then - maybe - Rick makes the call.
I'm good with that. My point is not that Rick Smith took who he wanted. This is a very "group-think" organization. Some guys make it sound as if Wade Smith came to Rick Smith with a list & said get these guys. "Forget that crap you call scouting, these are the guys I want."

It's been said that Rick Smith should get out of the way & let Wade & Gary pick the players. When Wade & Gary can not do their jobs if Rick Smith didn't do his job to begin with. Jj Watt, Brooks Reed, & Brandon Harris' name (along with 12 other players) were on Wade's list, because Rick Smith identified them as good players to begin with.

Wade may be more meticulous than our previous coordinators. He may be better at identifying what he wants than our previous coordinators. Or maybe he's less trusting.... I don't know.

But Rick Smith's role in selecting players has not been diminished because Wade Phillips is now our DC.