View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012   #55
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith Quotes from Combine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I agree to a point. They had Kj rated that high (obviously) & we had a need for corner back. But, did they have Kj rated higher than Demarius Thomas, or Dez Bryant?

Remember, this is the same offseason we gave Jj a $10M contract. If nothing else changed, we would have started with Glover Quin on one side, & McCain, Molden, and/or McMannis at corner..... then pick up Jason Allen midway through the season; how much worse could it have been?

& we'd have a #2 WR.

I like Kj, but realistically speaking (& with the clarity of hindsight) I'd be just as fine with Jason Allen taking all those snaps & Dez Bryant under Aj's wing.

Again, I have no idea how the Texans rated Kj vs those players... & Kj may turn out to be a starter yet..... but to help steelb with his point....
Dez Bryant is the only guy that you could've plausibly said was rated higher than KJ at that point...i'll even go on record & say that he probably was on most teams' boards. But you have to deal with what was known at that particular point in time & what was known then was:

we'd just lost our "top" cb in FA & had nothing back there.

KJ was going in the 1st round & there was no other cb thought to be going in the 1st besides Wilson & McCourty..(not much better options from what we know now).

1st rounders are expected to start from day 1.

Bryant had "knucklehead" written all over him....still does up to this point in his career.

Allen hadn't been released yet, thereby not available for us to pick up.

Frank Bush was still our DC.

So you have to figure why would the texans take a flyer on a guy with questionable character & forgo possibly solidifying their secondary?....the assumption here is that KJ could become a shutdown cb from Nick Sabans' "pro ready" coaching. Meanwhile the texans in 2009 had seemingly no issues slinging the ball all over the place.

.as absurd as this sounds now, this was the situation the texans FO were faced with. We'd already been burned once..passing on Revis in 2007 for Okoye.

So yeah, now that we look back on it, it wouldn't have been much worse having Allen take all of KJ snaps, but the reality of it is the draft is funny like that.

Last edited by Mr teX; 02-26-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote